Monday, January 21, 2013

DIY Monogrammed Baby Spoons


I've been away from the computer for far too long, so now it's time to post some of the projects I've been working on. I fell in love with these baby spoons on pinterest, and had to try it out for myself. The spoons were found at Babies"r"us... don't pay full price for them, every couple of months all of their food serving stuff is BOGO 1/2 off. I bought a set of metal stamps from Hobby Lobby (don't forget your 40% off coupon). Since I'm new to metal stamping, and didn't know how much I'd like it, I didn't invest in a block to stamp on or a special hammer. I simply went to town sitting on my garage floor with the hammer I had.
The stainless steal is pretty hard to get an impression. Sterling silver would be a much easier option for stamping, but I don't think I'll ever have some silver I'm willing to pound on. If I held the spoon down on a towel, it didn't bounce around between hits. This way I could hit the spoon multiple times to get a good impression. As you can see from the pics, multiple hits meant less-than-perfect letters. After stamping, I went over my letters with a sharpie for more contrast, then scrubbed the extra sharpie off with a sponge. Pretty simple. A lot of fun.



1 comment: