Monday, February 4, 2013

DIY nursing cover



"Don't make something unless it is both made necessary and useful;



but if it is both necessary and useful,



don't hesitate to make it beautiful." -- Shaker dictum




I don't know about you, but I adore handmade baby shower gifts. The things I cherished the most from my own baby shower were all handmade. They are the things that I love to use because they are beautiful, useful, and made with love. It was with that appreciation for the things made for me, that I made this nursing cover for a friends baby shower.
 

I followed this tutorial from Prudent Baby. I am head-over-boots about the boning which makes it easy to see baby while you're nursing. Believe you me, nursing with a cover is no picnic. Baby is squirming like crazy, trying to find the nipple, trying to pull off the cover, getting blasted in the face because your milk just let down. I don't have an extra hand to hold the cover in the right place to insure visibility without flashing the room. I currently have 2 covers. One with the life-saving boning... one without. I bet you can guess which one actually gets use.
 
The one change that I made to this nursing cover is that I lined it with flannel. Soft, but not as heavy as fleece or terry cloth. Something to give the cover a little more weight, and an absorbent opportunity to clean up milk spray.








No comments:

Post a Comment