Friday, December 30, 2011

Scrapbook-paper Gift Bow Tutorial



Getting ready to wrap a gift for a wedding I was going to last weekend when I came aross a cool tutorial on making a gift bow from a magazine page. I adapted the instructions just the teaniest bit so I could use it for scrapbook paper. So here it is.
Slice 9 one-inch strips from your 12x12 scrapbook paper. (you should end up with a few inches left)

Leave 3 strips at 12 inches, on 3 of the strips cut off 1 inch, on 2 of the strips cut off 2 inches, and on the last strip cut it down to around 4 1/2 inches.

Twist and staple 8 of the strips as shown. The smallest strip should be stapled in a circle shape. This will become the center loop of your bow.

Staple the 3 biggest loops together, evenly spaced, as shown. The magazine bow tutorial uses glue dots, but it wouldn't hold well for me because of the stiffness of the paper.

Repeat for the next 3 loops.

Repeat for the last 3 loops.
Attach your 3 sets of loops together. I used Elmer's glue here because I couldn't get the stapler to fit in the bow. I had to hold the bow together for a good 5 min for the glue to set. This turned out to be the most time consuming part of the project, and I'd love to hear any suggestions anyone might have.
Voila! I love the way bows turned out when I used double sided paper. so much more interesting to see a bit of color or pattern inside the bow instead of just plain white. I know it's hard to see, but the subtleness is what I love about it.

Update: Hot glue is sooooo much easier to use instead of trying to squish the staple over the loops. Toss the stapler and get out the hot glue gun :)

No comments:

Post a Comment