Friday, February 10, 2012

DIY Children's Superhero Cape

In case no one let you in on the secret, capes are awesome!! Here are some of my favorites:
By I Never Grew Up

By Onto Baby
By Tortoise and the Hare



This cape was made Christmas 2010 for my nephew.
     I created the pattern by tracing a finished superhero cape onto newspaper. The original cape is from chasing fireflies. Their cape's come in one size, priced at $48.00, and are very well made. The cape I ended up creating fit my 2 1/2 year old nephew (lets call him Clark Kent) pretty well, and my afternoon nanny kids, age 7 and 9, still wear theirs. On the right side of the neck hole, a 2inch by 1inch strip continues. With Velcro, this becomes the way the cape attaches. I cut a C (first letter of Clark's name) on paper on the Cricut. I traced everything in the color I would want it to be, but cut the fabric out about 1-2inches from the traced line. Everything was traced on the non-shiny side of the fabric so no-pencil lines would show up. The cape was sewn (red outside, blue liner) mostly inside out, then flipped to expose the shiny side. I stitched the C and the yellow diamond shape by hand. I also attached them by hand. I know you could do this on the sewing machine, but I haven't figured that out yet. I attached the Velcro and voila! The best part was seeing my little Clark wear his new cape everywhere. Every little boy likes to be a superhero!

No comments:

Post a Comment